Foster pleased with England call-up

Essex wicketkeeper James Foster is trying not to pressurize himself too much with the double England call-up. 

Foster, 28, last played an international Test match in the 2002 Ashes Series. Since then, he has spent six years on the sidelines hoping for a comeback call. 

He was recently named in two England squads - the 30-man provisional squad for the World Twenty20 and the 25-strong Ashes performance squad. 

"I am not thinking too much about it because the more pressure you put on yourself the greater chance of a detrimental effect. It was a pleasant surprise," Foster said about his call-up. 

"I really had no idea that these squads were being announced, so it is nice to be back in the frame. Having said that I am fully aware it doesn't mean I will be playing cricket for England.” 

"It is based on what I have done over the past couple of years,” he added. 

Foster also recognizes that his international prospects will be given a further boost if Andy Flower is confirmed as England team director. 

He added: "From my experience as a teammate at Essex he was a great person to learn off.” 

"I learnt a lot from him but if he does become England coach there are plenty of other wicketkeepers out there. There are two other guys in the squads. Yes I know Andy, but at the end of the day that means nothing.” 

"I have a lot of hard work ahead of me if I want to play for England again.” 

"You would probably have to say other guys are ahead of me in the pecking order but a season is a long time and a lot can happen."

0 comments

Recommended Sites